>
>
Homepage

Frýdlant Manor

Libverda as a part of the Frýdlant Manor

, an image opens in a new window

The first written mention about the town Libverda is from 1381, when it was called Lybenwerde. The record can be found in a chronicle of the Frydlant Manor which used to give a full list of submitted villages and their inhabitants at that time, together with information on their wealth and duties. The name of the town was later changed several times: Liewerde, Liwerde, Liebweda (1601), Liewerda (1651), Liebwerda (1854), Libwerda. The beginning of the name “lieb” means “dear” in German and in full translantion it means “a dear island in the middle of moorlands”.

In the oldest sources, the Frydlant region is mentioned as a part of so-called „Záhvozdí“. Before the beginning of the 13th century only a few sources had been preserved, so we know only a little about its fate then. Until the middle of 13th century the area was ruled by a family Ronovec. During the reign of Přemysl Otakar II, its owner Častolov of Ronov was made to return the Frydlant Manor, along with some other possessions, back to the king. After that this manor belonged to the Czech crown.

, an image opens in a new windowThe first written mention about the Frydlant Manor comes as far as from 1278 when Rulko of Birbstein bought it from King Přemysl Otakar II. A member of the Birbstein family used to hold some important positions at a king’s court, and beside the Frydlant Manor he also owned some estates in the Upper Lusatia and in Silesia. An important trade passage from midlands to Lusatia and then to Görlitz led through the area. In the course of Hussite`s wars, the Birbsteins supported King Sigmund. The manor itself was jeopardized several times by Hussites and then, in 1428, Frydlant was captured. Even during years 1446 – 1469, the Birbsteins stood against Jiří of Poděbrady. But then the family was loosing its power, and when in 1551 the last member, Christopher of Birbstein, died the Frydlant Manor fell to Emperor Ferdinand I.

In 1558 Bedřich of Redern bought the manor, and short afterwards he changed the religion in all churches to Protestant, according to the law “cuius region eius religio” (something like – who the ruler is, he sets the religion). The only exception was a church in Hejnice which could not be changed because of frequent pilgrimages being undertaken by people from nearby Catholic manors. So it was simply closed down. After the beginning of their reign, a period of economic boom started. Craft was supported, especially linen-cloth producers, and several new villages were founded. The last member of the family owning a manor was Christopher of Redern, who happened to lose it thanks to his support he gave to Fridrich Falcký, after a battle at Bílá Hora. And so, all his possession were confiscated and he was declared a traitor to the kingdom.

, an image opens in a new windowIn 1622, a general Albrecht Eusebius of Valdstein, bought the manor from Emperor Ferdinand II, and soon afterwards the whole manor became Catholic again. The estate became a part of his principality, which was in 1625, promoted to a dukedom. Even if Albrecht of Valdstein let himself to be called Duke of Frydlant, he spent major part of his life at his estate in Jičín. He visited the Frydlant Manor four times at most and it is said he only spent 9 days altogether in Frydlant. Then in 1634 the duke was murdered.

In 1636 Mathias Gallas de Campo was given the Frydlant Manor by Emperor Ferdinand II as a treat for his loyality during the campaign against Albrecht of Valdstein. A whole Frydlant region suffered until the end of 1642, because of the end of a thirty-year war which was short after followed by a powerful re-Catholisation of Protestants. According to that fact, a lot of inhabitants of the area had decided to leave.

, an image opens in a new windowIn 1757 the last Earl Philip Joseph Galas died. As he had no children, his nephew Christian Philip Clam became his heir but under one condition. That he and his descendants would use the name Gallas next to their own name and that they would also use a Gallas coat-of-arms. And so a new family branch of Clam-Gallas came into its existence. The last heir František Clam-Gallas died in 1930. The last owner of the Frydlant château was Clotilda Clam-Gallas who in April 1945 left for Vienna where she died in the year 1982.

Created 7.2.2007 14:30:57 - updated 3.3.2014 15:22:02 | read 23634x | Floresiensis

Top news

Events

Survey

 
49% (311)
 
50% (314)
All surveys and quizzes
 

Lázně Libverda

The town Lázně Libverda is situated in the attractive area on the northern foothills of the Jizera mountains. At the moment the population is approximately 460 inhabitants. The town itself lies 424 metres above the sea level, on the boundary with Germany and Poland, and its area is 1320 hectares wide.

The town is surrounded by mixed forests which together with its location set its climate charakter. A Halley where the town is situated is closed by mount Smrk (1124 m). There can be found a part of a Nature reservation „Jizerské bučiny" and a natural commemoration "Klečoviště na Smrku". For its wonderful setting Lázně Libverda becomes one of the most impressive destinations.



Partnerská města

swieradow zdroj mirsk trzebiel

Loga partnerů

Projekt byl podpořen z dotačního fondu Libereckého kraje.
banner cemba banner swieradowzdroj
Obecní úřad Lázně Libverda © 2007 | Lázně Libverda 16, 46362 Hejnice
Tel: 482 322 151 | E-mail: info@laznelibverda.cz
 
load